Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Keep ministering...to yourself too!

“One would be wise to see themselves not merely as a channel, but a reservoir. For a channel simply transmits something from one place to another, without retaining a drop for itself. While a reservoir first, fills itself up, and then, without losing any of what it has, waters the fields it is meant to water." - St. Bernard
Being in ministry, sometimes you get so involved in being there for the teens and your peers that you forget to minister to yourself and continue to fill yourself up. Being a peer minister at my church all through high school was great, and I was lucky enough to have a youth minister who knew that we needed to be filled as well so she gave us opportunities for that. Now that I am in college, I always remember to take time to spend with the Lord no matter what. A month ago I went on a young adult retreat to have time to retreat from the world and it was really great, but now a month later, I realize everyday I have that and you don't have to go on retreat to get filled. Everyday when I take time out for personal prayer or even going to Mass, I am filling myself up so I can better minister to people everyday. It's great knowing that God is always there waiting.

As I am writing this, the song "Taking You With Me" by Relient K came on and these lyrics really stuck out.

"So I'm taking you with me
Anywhere that I
Could ever wanna be
For the rest of my life
I want you there with me
And if there ever comes a time
When I should have to leave
I hope you know that I
I'm taking you with me"
I think about moving on in life, which I have been facing a lot lately. I am going to South Dakota for the whole summer to be in ministry and I know that I will need and want God with me along the way. I think about the small things though too that are actually really BIG.
Leaving Mass on Sundays, I can't imagine leaving and not taking God with me, and think about it, you receive Eucharist during Mass so essentially you are taking Jesus into the world already. Leaving my dorm or house everyday I take God with me too because facing the world sometimes can be hard, but it's so much easier when you have someone who has your back.

Constant Prayer is what keeps me going. Thessalonians says to Never cease praying. NEVER stop. It's such an easy way to be filled.

The quote at the beginning of this post is really phenomenal. I always thought that I was a channel to spread the Gospel, but the image of a reservoir is so much better and very true. You need to be able to minister while keeping all of the strength you have now.

Be Strong. Never give up. Someone once told me, not too long ago, along the lines of...When you have given all you can and are tired and think you have nothing left to give, keep giving because God will give you what you need to keep giving.

God Bless,
Erica Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment