Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Things I've learned during my internship..

I started my internship at Presentation Convent on May 3rd, well that's when I flew to Aberdeen. I didn't really start until May 5th because my aunt who is also my boss didn't get here until the 4th late at night. I completed one of the 3 main things I needed to do while I was here. I planned and directed a 2 day retreat for high school girls. It was a challenge, but I made it through and everyone said I did a good job and it turned out well, which brings me to things I have learned during my internship thus far...(this is only some..there's a lot)

1. Be flexible. (I already knew this..it was just confirmed)
2. I was blessed with the "Cadillac" Peer Ministry team(as my Aunt calls it) back home and I won't have that everywhere I go.
3. Living in the same building where you work is pretty sweet. No expenses for commuting and you can wake up a few minutes before you should be in the office. Oh, and if you forget something, you can just go up and get it!
4. Living in the same building where you work can be pretty bad. The people who live here and that you work with see you all the time and you are with them all of the time so things can get a little tense.
5. Socialization with people my age is important. I am with these Nuns all of the time and there's n young adult groups because it is summer so I have been having to find ways to keep myself going. I found an adorable coffee shop in town that I like to go to, but of course getting drinks there costs money, so I try to go there as little as possible.
6. You are going to disagree with people. Sometimes it's better to just go with it.
7. It is frustrating when you do something as part of your job and then someone goes and changes it completely. I guess I can't get mad though..I still get paid.
8. Wheel of Fortune is awesome...and Sister Josita and I need to go on the show and play together because we are awesome at it!
9. Don't do laundry after 9pm if someone is staying in the room by the Laundry Room.
10. If you get scolded for things every day or every other day, shrug it off and learn from it (how I learned #9) and move on. Laugh about it if you can if it isn't too serious.
11. You are going to get in trouble if you are 20 and living in a convent with people who are no younger than 50. Accept it...move on.
12. Thank you letters are a must for almost everything.

So these are just a few things...
Next week I am headed to Iowa for a camp for hispanic middle school girls...They come on Monday and leave on Friday I think and I am driving the whole 8 or so hours by myself with a van full of supplies on Saturday (Mom Don't freak Out...it's okay!). Pray for me and everyone working the camp. Pray that we also make it there safe because there's a lot of water covering the roads that would make it easier to get there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment